Let's Find The Rolex Quality Control Issues!!

Discussion in 'Rolex Watches' started by SPACE-DWELLER, Jun 3, 2009.

1. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    A lot of us have fallen offer for them.... the dreaded Rolex quality control issues.... the infamous "Monday" watches... :banghead: :banghead:

Bad quality control can comprise many types of issues, ranging from lint on the crystal to the movement actually not working as it should or parts coming off the watch.....

For instance, there was a report of a ceramic bezel insert breaking into halfs after the watch has been dropped on the floor (never was confirmed). Also, pics of of a ceramic bezel insert falling out of the bezel has recently been posted plus some of the clasp joints on an SS GMT II 116710 bracelet having broken.

So far, I've seen the following QC issues on the Rolex watches I've had:

• Daytona 116520: Chronograph hand did not reset properly. Got fixed at Rolex SA in Geneva.
    • SS Sub Date 16610: faulty lume (in the "dot" of the seconds hand there was a dark spot in the lume and also in one of the hour markers). On of of the 16610's that I had also a wobbling SEL. Never had it fixed but sold the watch later on.
    • Sea-Dweller 16600: Lint under crystal on the BNIB watch. Very badly regulated from the manufacture (minus 7 secs./day). Wobbling SEL. Got both issues fixed by the local AD watchmaker.
    • Datejust 16234: tiny scratch in the sapphire crystal. I had a new crystal installed under warranty.
    • Deepsea Sea-Dweller 116660: I noticed uneven coating of Super-LumiNova on some of the indices. However, this did not show up when they glowed in the dark. The second one I had was flawless.
    • Milgauss 116400GV: a tiny piece of metal (? - it reflected light!) was stuck in the "L" of "Milgauss". I had my AD watchmaker remove it without any problems.

So which Rolex QC types have you experienced? :thinking:

Are those QC issues acceptable in your opion?
  2. jan_j

jan_j

Bronze Member
    My Rolex 16550 (explore II) from 1985 worked as expected in the start - after ssome days - it stopped dead !!!

AD open and fixed within 30 min - issue was the small "clay" they put inside the watch from the factory (to collect dust) I was told had got loose and was now sitting on the balance -

AD replaced it (factory use grey clay - AD use balck clay) !!!

If this is the 100% correct story I don't know !!

/Jan J
  3. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    I have never had a new Rolex with crud on the dial under the crystal.
    However it has happened after I had 2 watches serviced by the RSC.
    As a comparison, all 5 of the Omegas and 3 breitlings I had ALL had crud on the dial when brand new. I just hate it when this happens - nothing annoys me more on a new watch than this.

The only common problem with my Rolexes is faulty lume.
    My V series SD had a minute hand that glowed half as bright as the rest of the watch.
    2 of my LV's also had the same problem on the large minute hand.
    My Deep Seas have been perfect.

Another problem that annoys me no end is misaligned bezel markers. The Deep Seas have been perfect but out of the 6 or so other Rollies I've had - subs and SD's - only one SD lined up nicely at the 12 position.
    This is just not good enough from Rolex.
    Hell, Seiko can get it right EVERYTIME on a $200 watch!
    The RSC once told me that my misaligned LV bezel "was within their standards"
    Not good enough!

The new ceramic ball bearing bezels don't have this problem though it seems.

Great idea for a threrad Bo.
    Rolex make fantastic watches.....but they're not perfect.
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    You forgot the misaligned engraving on the rehaut of your first DSSD and the poorly centrered HEV of your V-series SD:

5. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Gosh, you're right!
    I had completely forgotton about those issues.

You don't miss a trick Bo!
  6. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I bought a new Z-serial Sub 16610 with a spec of dust on the inside of the crystal. It drove me a bit nuts.

I also bought a new M-serial Sub 16610 that had an imperfection regarding the white-gold surround on the 12:00 triangle marker. It wasn't very noticeable... it took me a few days before I noticed it was even there.

Bezel alignment always seems to be an issue, but that's an easy fix.
  7. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Here's one that I missed. I've had to scrape away excess glue around the cyclops on almost every Rolex I've owned. I don't think many people notice it. Here's a pic of my D-serial LV - take a look at the excess glue along the top and right of the cyclops. Apparently the previous owner never noticed it, but I sure did. Here's a before and after shot. What you're seeing around the cyclopse is glue, not dirt and grime. It was scraped away with a toothpick and takes less than 5 minutes to do. :cheers:

[​IMG]
  8. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Yup. This glue-around-the-cyclops issue does seem to be common. When I was at the AD and bought my Rolex Explorer II, he had two of them, so I asked to see them both to compare them...like said, some BNIB watches sport the issues described in the previous posts...

Lo and behold, one of the Explorer II had the glue residue around the edge of the cyclops! :banghead:

Yes, as Jeff states, it can easily be fixed with a toothpick, but I'd be damned if I bother, so naturally I went for the other Explorer II which was perfect, even under a 10x loupe.
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Here's a pic of the BNIB D-Serial. This had a TON of excess glue... it stuck out like a sore thumb.

[​IMG]
  10. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Can't believe that crystal passed QC! :banghead: :banghead:
  11. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    I've only had the one NIB Rolex to play with, my 16610. I haven't taken a loupe to it, but it seems to pass the most obvious problems discussed above with flying colors. Lume and markers are okay, bezel lines up, and nothing rattles. Out of the box the flip lock was a tad loose for my tastes, and my AD tightened that up. Other than that, no issues.

Of course, I haven't been through as many watches as you guys! I'm sure if I buy or flip enough I'll run into "Monday" watches. I did look my 16610 over pretty thoroughly in the ADs before buying as I didn't want lint under the crystal or other obvious flaws.

As for how important these issues are to me, I think it is not cool that watches that start at around $5000 USD now should have some of these issues new in the box. Keep in mind, adjusted for inflation, my 1680 from the 1970s would cost around $1200 -1400 USD today, IIRC, and NOT $6000 USD that Sub Dates retail for in 2009.

To me though, Rolex seems to make- from most everything I've heard/read/ been told by people I respect- the most highly refined and robust/durable movements for sports model watches out there. That makes me a little more forgiving of some of the "loupe" type issues.

Bottom line though, I agree for the prices they're getting for these watches now, perfection needs to be the goal, not "pretty good."
  12. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Agreed. We must also consider that Rolex makes about 1,000,000 watches a year.
  13. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Good point there as well, Bo.
  14. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Ive only had two Rolex so far, the only problem I encounted was that after buying my Sea Dweller I couldnt afford to eat for 3 weeks afterwards.
  15. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    It's called the Rolex diet! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  16. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  17. Thani

Thani

Silver Member
    The only problem i had with Rolex was with my 116234 Datejust. The seconds hand would jump when i set the time, my AD fixed it.
  18. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That probably wasn't an "issue"... what you experienced was more likely the socalled "EOL" (End Of Life) low battery feature which makes the seconds hand jump in 2-3 sec intervals. :bartmoon: :rofl:
  19. Thani

Thani

Silver Member
    LOOOL :dummy::dummy::crazy::crazy::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  20. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Bo, didn't you have a bezel insert replaced because the luminova in the pearl was uneven? Maybe it was your previous Sea-Dweller? :thinking:

The hands on your SS Daytona were also scratched. I remember you having them replaced.